Title: Pretty Pink Ribbons
Author: K.L. Grayson
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Release Date: March 24, 2015
Cover Design: Perfect Pear Creative Covers
Photographer: Tomasz Zienkiewicz Photography
Dying . . .
Dead . . .
Deceased . . .
It doesn’t matter how many times I say it or how many different names I give it, it still means the same thing. One of these days I’ll be nothing but a passing memory, a familiar face in a forgotten photo. But there’s three things I need before this life of mine ends . . .
I need to tell him I love him more than life itself.
I need to feel the strength of his arms wrapped around me just one more night.
Most of all, I need him to forgive me.
Eight years ago I broke the heart of the only man I’ve ever loved and today I’m moving home in hopes that he’ll let me put it back together. I’m not sure how many breaths I have left, but I’ll use each and every last one fighting for what I destroyed.
My name is Laney Jacobs and this is my journey.
“I wish it was someone else,” she croaks, swallowing hard. “There are thousands of bad people in the world, but it happened to you.” I watch her eyes fill with tears and then I look away. It’s pathetic of me really; that I’m unable to look my best friend in the face when it’s obvious that she is struggling with this almost as much as I am. But I’ve cried my fair share of tears and although I’m certain my tear ducts have yet to dry up, I don’t want to cry tonight. Somehow I know that if I watch Mia break, then I’ll shatter right along with her.
“I’m glad it’s me.” She gasps, startled by my words, and I rush to try and explain. “If it wasn’t me, it would be someone else, and I would never wish this upon someone else. You know that saying that God will only give you what you can handle?”
“Sometimes I tell myself that he just thinks I’m really strong and I can handle it, whereas someone else couldn’t.”
“Does that help?” she asks. “Does that make you feel better about it?”
“No, but it eases my mind. Sometimes when I’m having a good day, it brings me peace, however temporary it may be. But no, it doesn’t make me feel better.”
“Peace,” she whispers, seemingly trying the word on for size. “I want you to have peace.”
K.L. Grayson resides in a small town outside of St. Louis, MO. She is entertained daily by her extraordinary husband, who will forever inspire every good quality she writes in a man. Her entire life rests in the palms of six dirty little hands, and when the day is over and those pint-sized cherubs have been washed and tucked into bed, you can find her typing away furiously on her computer. She has a love for alpha-males, brownies, reading, tattoos, sunglasses, and happy endings…and not particularly in that order.
- Tell us a little about yourself and your background? Hi girls! My name is Kirby and I’m from a small town in Illinois, just outside of St. Louis MO (GO CARDS). I have three beautiful … and slightly crazy children and I’m married to my highschool sweetheart.
- What were you like in school? Were you any good at English? I was one of those kids that was in between. I didn’t really fit into any category, I just kind of hung out with everyone. YES, I was good at English. In fact, my freshman year English class teacher is the first person who ever told me that I should keep writing. I’ll admit though … I SUCK at commas!
- What are your ambitions for your writing career? To be honest, I write because it’s simply something that I love to do. Sure, I want people to like my books, but at the end of the day I write for me because it brings me peace. So it doesn’t matter where I end up, as long as I’m writing I’ll be happy.
- Which writers inspire you if any? Jill Shalvis, Kristen Proby, Bella Andre, Julie James
- Give us an insight into your main characters for PPR. How different was writing them from the main characters from WWB? Wow, that’s a great question. Laney was easy for me because I wrote her character based on my own sisters battle with breast cancer, so to me … Laney is my sister. Levi is this gentle alpha male that has been rolling around in my head for well over two years and although many people wanted him to end up with Harley in WWB, I just couldn’t do it … Writing the characters in PPR was very different than writing them in WWB but mostly because their stories are simply different. Just like you and I are different, in my head so are the characters.
- What are you working on now that PPR is finished? Ahhhh … I love this question. I’m currently working on A Lover’s Lament. BT Urruela and I are co-writing this book and it has been a really fun journey thus far, and I can’t wait to see the rest of the story unfold. Look for it this fall!
- Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead characters from PPR? You know, I haven’t thought about it … let’s see. When I write Levi I think of tall dark and handsome … so someone like David Gandy or Ian Somerhalder. When I write Laney I think of someone like Minka Kelly
- How much research do you do when you write? Do you research before or during the writing process? I research throughout and the amount of research really depends on how in depth I’m wanting to go with something. I did more research with PPR than WWB.
- When did you decide to become a writer? I’ve always loved writing. Seriously, I have a book I wrote in fourth grade that my mom had made into a hard back!! You should see that writing LOL. But it wasn’t until about two years ago that I really decided I wanted to try and publish a book.
- The million dollar question every author is tired of but we can’t help but ask.. Why do you write? I write because it fulfills something inside of me … and it quiets the voices. Okay, seriously, I promise you I’m not crazy but I really do have these voice and characters that talk to me and beg to have their story told. Writing brings me peace … It’s my yoga LOL
- What made you decide to sit down and actually start something? I actually sat down and started expanding a short story I had already written. But I sat down to do that when I felt like I had lost myself being a wife, mother, daughter, sister, nurse … I needed something for me so I sat down to do what I love to do.
- What does your writing process look like? Oh … um … it’s a hot mess. No really, it is. I usually do a broad plot of what I want to happen and then I just sit down with my laptop and I start writing and I keep writing … honestly, that’s it …
- Do you write full-time or part-time? Part time. I work full time as a Family Nurse Practitioner.
- Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured? I refuse to write when my kids are awake. I’m a true believer that these young years are the most precious and I don’t want to miss a minute, therefore I am always writing at night when the kids go to bed.
- Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day? Nope. I just write … Now, when it comes down to crunch time I may have to set goals for myself but I try and make things as easy as possible and just go with the flow.
- Do you write on a typewriter, computer, dictate or longhand? Laptop. I tried to dictate once … that didn’t go so well.
- Where do your ideas come from? They come from the voices in my head LOL
- Do you work to an outline/plot or do you prefer to just see where an idea takes you? I prefer to see where the idea takes me although I do plot out major points that I want to hit along the way
- What was the hardest part about writing PPR? Writing the emotion. My sister is a breast cancer survivor and I think it’s so important to capture the emotions not just from the patient (Laney), but also from the friends and family.
- Does your family read your writing and if so, what do they think about it? Yes they do. I think the only person in my family who hasn’t read my writing is my dad, but trust me, he supports me 100% … it’s simply just not his cup of tea. My great aunt Wilma read WWB … Oh boy … that was funny! My mom and sister are probably my two biggest fans!
- Will you be releasing any more books this year? If so, what should we expect from you? Yes! You can expect a book from my co-writer and I in the Fall!
- Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions for us. We love your books! Thank you … I hope I answered everything and didn’t just ramble on!!! XOXO KL
I give this story 5 Beautiful Pink Ribbons.
Wow first let me start by saying that I think KL is a very talented writer. I fell in love with her writing and the hero Levi when I read her debut book, Where We Belong, a couple of months back. She is a truly gifted writer.
Her character development is amazing. Not only do you fall in love with her main characters but you can’t help but love her secondary ones as well. So when I found out she was writing Levi’s story I was ecstatic. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it and I was even bold enough to let her know because I KNEW I would love his story. You know what? I was right. I freaking loved it.
Pretty Pink Ribbons not only follows Laney’s journey to reconnect with Levy but follows her battle to live. Laney is a strong, kind and giving heroine who is facing a tough battle. Her will to live and her strength make her amazing. After leaving 8 years ago and breaking Levi’s heart, she is back to tell him she loves him while hoping to earn his forgiveness and love in return. Levi is a caring, sexy, strong man who is reluctant to give Laney a second chance even though he still loves her.
“All it takes is this one look—this one kiss—and I’m owned. Every piece of my broken soul belongs to this angel . . . I just pray to God that she can find a way to put it back together. And more than that, I pray to God she doesn’t break it again.”
Their journey back to each other was breathtakingly beautiful. They spend a lot of time trying to get to know each other and experience new things. I was in awe of their love and selflessness for one another.
KL stirred up so many emotions in me, there were times I didn’t know how to feel. I went from being sad to being happy in the blink of an eye. there were many times I had to grab a tissue. This book had me in an emotional roller-coaster that I would surely ride again.
Even though KL has only written 2 books, she is moving up in ranks to being one of my favorite authors. I can’t wait to read what she comes out with next and will likely harass her about reading that one also. I strongly recommend that you pick up a copy of both her books.
G I V E A W A Y :